The exact date of its origin cannot be established with certainty, but a small congregation of Augustine monks built this monastery in the eleventh century.
In the beginning, it was a hospital for the pilgrims managed by the canons of Saint Augustine. It was then taken over by the Premonstratensian Order at the end of the XIIth century or beginning of the XIIIth century. The abbot has been Lord of Zugarramurdi and Urdax until 1785.
There are no remnants from the medieval period. The age of splendor was that of the XVIth and XVIIth centuries. The present mansions date from that time.
It suffered two huge fires, in 1526 (when Navarra lost its independence) and in 1793 (raid of the Convention soldiers who burnt the village). During this last fire, the library which held more than 9000 books was destroyed.
It was ransacked by the French during the Convention(1793-95) and the religious community found shelter in Loyola until 1806. Following the desamortización of Mendizabal (Spanish Minister who expropriated the Church possessions in 1839) the building was abandoned by the Premonstrants, it became the parish church and the monks never returned.
The big church built in red stone which is used as parish church is the only vestige from the old convent. The cloister and its outbuildings are used as a history museum of the monastery, of the village and a place for art exhibits.